The following tips will help you use gModeler to diagram and document your project more efficiently. They are also
available from within the application, under tips in the gModeler menu.
- Hold down ALT when you select options like 'delete' and 'close' to bypass the confirmation dialog.
- Select an element and click the center icon to center the diagram on that element.
- Use the drag tab beside an element's title to move it while it's selected.
- You can use the 'Export > XML' command to generate xml describing your diagram that you can email to a colleague or save locally and import into gModeler later.
- Most controls in gModeler have tooltips. Hover over a control to display helpful tips about it.
- If you drag an element to the edge of the screen, the diagram will scroll in that direction.
- While using the element tool, hold Alt to move or select elements or to drag the canvas.
- Note elements will not show up in exported documentation. They are for applying notes to the diagram itself.
- Prefix item names with a $ to prevent them from being included in documentation.
- Version information for FlashMX documentation cascades. EX. If you leave it blank in a class, it will use the value set for the entire diagram.
- Turning on Live Links in the gModeler menu causes links to redraw as you move elements, but also requires more processor power.
- Hold shift while dragging a package to avoid dragging its contents.
- Press the Escape key to clear the current focus.
- Use the number keys (1,2,3) to switch between tools quickly
- Press the del (forwards delete) key to delete the currently selected element or link.
- Pressing the space bar centers the diagram on the currently selected element.
- Use shortcuts to quickly enter datatypes. For instance 'i;' becomes 'Integer'. Supported shortcuts: i; s; o; n; v; f; p; a; d; m; b;
- To quickly move a group of elements together, draw a package behind them and move the package.
This section will contain tips on using UML diagramming and Object Oriented Analysis and Design (OOAD) effectively in your project.
If you have a tip to share, please email it to me at gmodelerX@Xgskinner.com (remove the X's). Also, be sure to check out the resource center.